Across the world, DVDs are split into several "regions" to stop piracy. DVDs from one region will only play in a DVD player of the same region. For instance, a Region 6 DVD (China) will only play in a Region 6 DVD Player.
There are some DVDs which are region 0 which means they can be played in all regions. Similarly you can get a Region 0 DVD Player to play DVDs from all regions.
- Region 0: All Regions
- Region 1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
- Region 2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle East (including Egypt)
- Region 3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
- Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
- Region 5: Eastern Europe (former countries of the Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
- Region 6: China
- Region 7: Reserved for future use
- Region 8: International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc.